Constructed in 1838, the Orchard Street United Methodist Church is one of the oldest standing structures built by a Black congregation in Baltimore. Known formerly as Metropolitan Methodist Episcopal Church, Orchard Street is a notable historic building located in the center of Baltimore City. Building additions were made in 1853, 1865, and 1882. The main church is Romanesque Revival, and the rear building is Romanesque with a large Gothic window in its northeastern facade. The church was founded in 1825 by Truman Le Pratt, a West Indian former slave of Governor John Eager Howard. It now houses the offices of the Baltimore Urban League.